I just fixed this for my family yesterday and it was great. Great flavor, great texture, and very light on the stomach. I highly recommend this for a weeknight meal. This recipe comes courtesy of Food Network Magazine and it’s a great seasonal dish. My kids especially loved the apricots.
Poppy Seed Chicken Pitas
- Serves: 4
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 3 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- Kosher salt
- 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream or low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- Torn lettuce leaves, for serving
- 4 whole-wheat pitas, halved
NOTE: I went with 2 chicken breasts (~1.3 lbs.) because all three seemed like too much for this recipe. I chose to use Greek yogurt over sour cream but I would be interested to taste the difference. I used un-toasted sliced almonds (didn’t have the time for toasting, was still good). As I didn’t have chives available, I skipped this altogether. With regard to the poppy seeds, you can skimp on these. That amount was simply too much for my liking. I love the apricots in this. I’m thinking of adding raisins or figs next time I make this, we love fruit.
- Vegetable peeler (orange)
- measuring cups (mayonnaise, yogurt, nuts, chives, apricots)
- measuring spoons (mustard, poppy)
- vegetable zester (orange)
- medium-sized saucepan w/ lid (chicken)
- large bowl
- mixing spoon
- sharp knife (celery, nuts, apricots)
- Cover the chicken with cold water in a saucepan and add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Remove strips of zest from half of the orange with a vegetable peeler; add the zest to the water.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 18 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and let cool.
- (while Chicken is cooking) Grate the remaining orange zest into a large bowl;
- Juice the orange into the bowl.
- Stir in the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, celery, nuts, chives, poppy seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and apricot.
- Shred the chicken, discarding the bones and skin
- Toss with the dressing.
- Stuff a few lettuce leaves and some of the chicken salad into each pita.
- Fish Tacos w/ Cilantro Savoy Slaw (carpebootium.com)
- Teach Every Child About Food (carpebootium.com)
- Mac-Daddy-Roni Salad (carpebootium.com)
- Grecian Delight (carpebootium.com)
- Thai Noodle and Pork Stir-Fry (carpebootium.com)