My family just tried this recipe (from the food blog Plain Chicken) yesterday and it is delicious. Even better, it’s easy to make and requires only one pot. I would definitely recommend this for a weeknight dinner. We did ours with mild sausage and plain Rotel (because of the toddlers) but I bet this is even better with smoked/spicy sausage and/or spicy Rotel.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 2 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz campanelle pasta (or penne)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch oven safe skillet until hot. Add sausage and cook until lightly
- Add onion flakes, garlic powder, broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover skillet. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until pasta is tender.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in half of the cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions.
- Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.